Friday, August 27, 2010

The Past means it's (hi)STORY

Today in class I helped Grayson learn about what history means; history was my all time favorite subject in school! He's already been doing a lot of geography in the history section, but today he got to learn about the real meaning of the word history. He figured out that it has the word 'story' in it and so we read a little story about a young boy who found an old shoe box full of pictures and letters. The pictures came to life and told a story about what everying in the box meant. Grayson told me that this story reminded him of 'Night at the Museum' so of course we watched it tonight. We both had tons of laughs and giggles, but it was so fun to be able to point out the characters in the movie that are apart of our history and for him to understand a deeper meaning of the movie than it just being a movie. Tomorrow we'll watch the 2nd 'Night at the Museum' because it has even more characters from the past. We tried going to the library today, but they were close; we were going to get a book and maybe another movie about a fun history story. Then Nate reminded me of the book The Indian in the Cupbord. I really think he'll like that book and movie, so we're going to look for it soon! I'm trying to find a time to take him to the Natural Science Museum in San Diego or L.A. because I know he'll love it! He's doing great in home school, but I think I'm going to quiz him this weekend over the things he's learned the last couple of weeks, just to make sure he's really retaining the information.

My beautiful yard is now back to being beautiful, I was so tired of looking at the weeds growing and I was trying to be frugal about it and just wait until Nate got home, but I just couldn't anymore. I hired a guy to come do it for 12/hr and it looks amazing. If we need to have it done again for some reason (only if it gets out of control like that) we'll defintely hire him again. Those of you that need a yard guy in 2-9 let me know I can give you his information!

I'm finally starting to understand a section in algebra! I had class yesterday and I actually got all the problems finished in class; including word problems! - yes Baby I got the word problems right!!! :) I have my first chapter exam on Tuesday so this weekend will be some major studying. Well, Sunday will be anyway. Biology seems to be simple, but we'll see. I am taking it online and it's not really needed for my major so I'm not too worried about not retaining that information ;-).

I am still on track with insanity but my entire morning routine is out the window with this home school stuff, but I'm ok with that because his school is so much more important to me!

Tomorrow G and I are going to clean the house in the morning and then I'm going to take him to the movies on base and then we're going to go down to Yucca Valley to run some errands and maybe get some frozen yogurt or something. Next week is September! That means anniversary and birthday and only two more months to go!

That's all I got except these awesome pictures from history... ;-)

My niece and me on the day she was born:


Back in 2007


My sweet baby Grayson just a few days old

1 comment:

  1. Kudos for Home Schooling G-man! Sounds like he is liking it. What is your major?

    ReplyDelete