Monday, May 31, 2010

My Dog is a Murderer

Yes you read that right. My sweet gentle, Dallas, our lazy as a cat, dog has murdered another animal. Out here in the desert of 29 Palms there are these little ground squirrels that come out in the spring and summer time. They’re great break checkers because they seem to always want to cross the road during high volume traffic. Anyway, right around the time Nate left they began to make an appearance and I guess our house is one of the places. So, for the last couple of months I’ve noticed so many holes in our yard from my lovely dog, digging. We knew she was going after them, lizards, or snakes, but we would never find any so we began to think she was just crazy.

Fast forward to today, I ask Grayson to let her in and she won’t budge, I hear Grayson go outside to make her come in except he comes running back inside saying, “Dallas is eating something! She has something, like a little animal in her mouth!”. I instantly knew what it was. I run out there, grab her by the collar, and send her inside. I make my way over to the poor helpless animal and I just watch it take it’s last bit of air as it tries walking along side of the house. It stops and passes out.

Many of you probably think I’m crazy because these little animals are nothing but a nuisances and we’re surrounded by them. Generally I wouldn’t care, but when Nate and I first moved here they were the first “desert life” we saw and actually enjoyed seeing. They’re just so stinkin’ cute (annoying sure).

Anyway, I’ve now gone to every big hole in the yard and covered them up with rocks and sand. She’s got to stop this. Not just for the sake of the ground squirrels or whatever they are but for the sake of our dang yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment